A LAK of Direction? Call for commentaries
In order to promote cross-community dialogue on matters of significance within the field of learning analytics, the Journal of Learning Analytics has introduced a section for papers that are open to peer commentary. The first of these papers, A LAK of Direction: Misalignment Between the Goals of Learning Analytics and its Research Scholarship, is now available in the journal’s early access section.
To submit a commentary on this paper for publication in the journal, submit your commentary proposal by Friday, 14 April 2023 through the journal's submission platform. During the submission process, select "Open Peer Commentary" as the journal section. In the submission include:
- names of everyone who would be involved in writing the commentary;
- aspect of the paper you propose to comment on;
- relevant expertise you would bring to bear (a sentence or two).
A maximum of ten proposals will be accepted – do not write the commentary until you hear your proposal has been accepted. Selection will take into account many factors, including different areas of expertise, different perspectives, and other aspects of academic diversity.
Successful proposal authors will be invited to submit a full commentary (up to 1,000 words, including any tables, figures, or references) by the deadline below and will be asked to participate in the reviewing process for other commentaries. Paper and commentaries will be published together.
Both paper and commentaries will undergo review by the journal editors and light-touch, single-blinded review for relevance and soundness before publication.
Timetable for commentaries
- Submit proposals before Friday 14 April.
- Responses to proposals sent by Monday 24 April.
- Submit commentaries (if proposal is accepted) by Monday 5 June.
- Light-touch reviews by Monday 3 July.
- Revisions complete by 24 July.
- Copy editing and production.
- Commentaries and paper scheduled for publication in the August 2023 issue of the Journal of Learning Analytics.